You are probably familiar with the term crepe murder (and if you are not, all the more reason to attend this class!). But what can you do to avoid crepe murder?
In this class, we will use the crepe myrtle as a vehicle to teach the basics of pruning. We will focus on the following:
- Some basic terminology and biology.
- The three basic cuts (thinning cut, selective heading cut, non-selective heading cut).
- A step-by-step on how to make a proper pruning cut.
- The overall goal of pruning.
- Then, an interactive demonstration on how to properly prune a crape myrtle and avoid crape murder.
The difference between expert pruning and everything else is knowing what to prune — and how the plant will react to each cut given all existing conditions — in order to achieve a specific goal.
By the end of this course, we hope to provide you with enough information to begin making calculated pruning cuts and to understand why crepe murder is harmful.