Even if you're new to tree care, Leaf & Limb can teach you everything you need to know.
Join the tree care team at Leaf & Limb!
If you are interested in joining a crew to become a tree care expert, here is some more information about this position:
What are members of our tree care team saying?
- I love working with trees and helping care for our planet!
- Every day is different and there are a variety of work tasks at each job.
- I really appreciate the flexible scheduling and unlimited time off. It enables me to pursue travel and adventures outside of work.
- I get paid to learn how to climb trees!
- The work is challenging and meaningful.
- We are the team who care for trees from the tip of the canopy to the roots in the ground.
- People answer questions freely and are open to teaching you without making you feel dumb.
- I love Leaf & Limb's online and practical training program, which includes frequent raises as you move through subjects.
- Safety is a priority.
- There are so many opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- The opportunity to be trained without any prior experience is a big reason I love it here at L&L.
- Support is everywhere in all the ways. Sometimes you have to reach for it and sometimes it's given but there is a lot of support.
- We care about each other, we have a considerate work environment, and an inclusive culture. And we have fun!
- This is a place that invests in its people and prefers to promote from within.
- Being on a team of industrial athletes is challenging in all the best ways!
- I like the benefits.
- I'm outside!
- Leaf & Limb is evolving and changing, which means new opportunities.
- This is an intellectually stimulating environment.
- The mentorship program at L&L has really helped me develop professionally.
- We are tree friendly in all the ways. We care about the ecosystems we work within.
What are the requirements for this position?
- No prior experience is necessary. We will teach you everything you need to know.
- We will provide extensive training on everything related to caring for trees, including the following topics: climbing trees, pruning, planting trees, building healthy soil, tree biology, insects, diseases, abiotic disorders, tree diagnostics, tree/shrub identification, and so much more.
- Our core curriculum spans 5 years. By the end, you will be a well-rounded tree expert with knowledge of regenerative practices that will help heal the planet.
- Starting pay is $18/hour + benefits. By the time you reach the end of our training program, you will earn $35/hour + benefits.
- You will receive frequent raises based on completing training objectives.
- We begin each day at 6:45am, we typically work in teams of two, and we usually end most days by 3:30.
- Our benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, retirement, paid time off, flexible scheduling as needed, unlimited unpaid time off, and other perks.
What are typical job responsibilities
- Climbing trees using ropes, pulleys, and other gear. This is similar to rock climbing, but with more safeguards in place.
- Pruning tree branches aloft (after climbing into the canopy) and from the ground.
- Pruning shrubs.
- Using power tools such as chainsaws, blowers, and hedge trimmers.
- Using machinery like chippers, sprayer units, air compressors, and mini skid steers.
- Using non-mechanized tools such as loppers, pole saws, ropes, saws, and so forth.
- Planting trees.
- Performing maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Injecting liquid compost into the soil.
- Using high-powered air tools to rehabilitate unhealthy soils.
- Making compost, compost tea, biochar, and other healthy products for trees.
- Using GIS survey equipment to identify and locate the GPS position of trees.
- Driving trucks.
- Clean up debris using chippers, rakes, and blowers.
- Identify and treat various pest issues on plants, in a way that preserves the health of the ecosystem.
- Learning and training on a daily basis.
- Diagnose plant disorders.
- Attending classes and lectures on the first Friday of every month on a variety of tree care topics.
If you like what you read above and want to join our team, the next step is to apply using the form below!
Plan on spending at least 30-60 minutes on this application, though it could take over 90 minutes depending on your effort. All positions at Leaf & Limb are competitive, so we encourage you to submit any/all information that you think could be helpful. You can submit these through the application form below. You can also send information via email or through the contact page on this website. Should our team select your application for an interview, we will reach out to you via email and/or phone call. Our interview process includes a variety of questions and assessments based on the position. You will learn more as the process unfolds.
We are really serious about providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants. We of course meet all local, state, and federal requirements. But we want to exceed these minimums. One of the ways we do this is by not sharing for your name with our hiring team until after they have reviewed your submission. We are also very intentional about asking questions that reflect your knowledge, skills, and fit with our company versus wanting to know what college you attended or where you worked. For example, we frame the education portion as "learning background" to put emphasis on the information you have acquired. Unfortunately there are some items to which we are beholden purely from a legal or insurance perspective. Having a drivers license in good standing is one of those. All this to say, we are doing our best to reduce potential hiring bias. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.