Why are we collecting 100,000 seeds?
Project Pando is a volunteer-driven tree nursery that sustainably grows native trees to give to the public for free. Our nursery is special as the trees come from seeds collected by volunteers in our community.
This fall, our goal is to collect 100,000 native tree and shrub seeds, but we can’t do this alone. We need your help!
The seeds that you collect will be planted by our volunteers. These seeds will eventually grow into saplings that we give away to the public - for FREE!
It’s easy to get involved! Be sure to keep your eyes open while you walk your dog, take a hike through the forest, or play at the park! Any native tree seeds you find can be donated to Leaf & Limb. Want to learn how?
How to Participate in the 2021 Native Seed Drive
You can join the effort and shape the future of Project Pando.
- Learn which seeds are ripening now: The best time to collect seeds is now through November. Checkout the calendar below which will give you information you need to collect tree seeds with confidence this season.
- Collect seeds: If you need help identifying native seeds, check out our seed profiles below.
- Drop off seeds: If you have collected enough native seeds, drop them off at one of our locations across the Triangle. See below to find the location closest to you!
- Volunteer: If you’d like to be more involved in our 2021 Seed Collection Drive, join our Seed Team to volunteer with us!
- Stay Informed: Sign up to receive our Project Pando newsletter to follow along with our development and learn about ways to help.
Here is a list of resources that will help you identify what seeds are in season, how to identify them, and where you can find them.
Seed Ripening Calendar
Not sure which seeds are ripening now? We’ve got you covered with this helpful calendar.