Checklist: Tools and Supplies for Hand Pruning Your Shrubs
Not sure where to begin with hand pruning? We've created a short list of tools and supplies to get you started.
Hand pruning is faster and easier when you have the right tools. It's also important to maintain them by cleaning, sharpening, and oiling them. Here's a short list of our favorite tools and supplies for hand pruning.
- Hand pruners - also called bypass pruners
- Loppers - long-handled pruners for larger branches and harder-to-reach spots
- Hand saw - for branches that are too big for loppers
- Gloves and safety glasses - for protection
- Dish soap and a scrubber - to clean sap off of your blades
- Sharpening tool - to ensure you have clean cuts
- Oil - to help prevent rust and corrosion
- Rubbing alcohol - to wipe down tools if pruning a diseased plant. This will help prevent the spread of disease.
Have a pressing pruning question? Send us an e-mail, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.